The Zap - the site the Chinese government is currently using as its home page

Thursday, February 17, 2005

The Return

Hello blog fans. Sorry I haven't posted for a while. My original reason was going to be that Zach Braff hadn't posted in his blog, so why should I, but since my last entry, he's made three, so that's probably not going to work now. So I guess I can only put it down to laziness. Actually no, that's not fair on myself (I realise as I force myself to think about it). Part of the reason I haven't written is because I had an email to write to Oxford (more on that later), and I promised myself that I wouldn't write in my blog or embark upon any other writing projects until I had done that. By the time I'd got that finished, which was quite a long time after I started due to efforts to perfect the tone, I had quite a lot to write about in here, so I just got into that vicious circle of "I'll do it tomorrow"s, with the more putting off I did, the more I had to write about, leading to me not writing anything at all. Until now, obviously. So that's that.

Well my Oxford email would probably be a sensible place to start, seeing as I've already mentioned it. When I made my last entry, I was feeling slightly depressed and suicidal about uni and stuff, but the more observant amongst you, and possibly the more stupid as well, will have noticed by now that I haven't killed myself. A few days after making my last entry, one of my sleepless nights actually became quite productive. I basically just gave everything a really good think, and decided that if I really didn't want to do Computer Science, I didn't have to. Taking a gap year wouldn't be the end of the world. Then my mum walked into my room for some reason (this was around 4am) and I told her what I'd been thinking about (bare in mind that she didn't even though that I was miserable about my Cambridge offer at this stage). She was really understanding and said that she wouldn't make me do anything if I didn't want to. I told her to promise not to tell dad, so she did. Then, for some reason, I told her about all my depression and bullying problems and stuff. Then I watched Dutch football on Channel 5. Then I heard my mum and dad fighting. Then I found out that she'd told him what I'd said. Then she shouted at me and told me I was going to Cambridge. So she obviously didn't take it as well as I thought she had at first, but she seems to be okay with everything now. Anyway, I decided it would be a really good idea if I emailed Oxford, the head of maths to be specific, telling him about my situation, asking if they could make me an offer to study Maths and Philosophy there, starting next year. Funnily enough, he declined, but the email was really nice. Hopefully I've at least cemented my name in his mind to increase my chances of an offer if I do decide to apply next year. (This isn't at all certain, even now. I don't really want to do the compsci at Cambridge, but at the same time I don't really want to take a gap year, so it's still up in the air. I'll probably just accept the Cambridge offer anyway, then pull out of UCAS at the last moment if I decided that I really, really don't want to do the degree there.) Both emails available on request.

If my Cambridge offer has been good for anything, it's been in proving my Economics teacher wrong (the one who said I wouldn't get into Cambridge, not the one who thinks I'm a genius). Now I knew he thought I wouldn't get into Cambridge - he didn't say it exactly, but he said something along the lines of "It's a very competitive place," which is good enough, and that's fine; he's entitled to his opinion, even if it did drag me down and make me feel shit. What's not fine is what I found out after I got the offer. Apparently, not only did he tell me that he thought I wouldn't get an offer, he told his entire form that he was shocked at the number of people who had applied to Oxbridge just for the sake of it, without a chance in hell of getting an offer, using my name as the only specific example. And just in case he hadn't gotten his point across the first time round, when I did get the offer, he went on to tell them all how shocked he was by the fact. My current plan is therefore to tell him that I'm going to reject the Cambridge offer because I heard about what he said, and it convinced me that I'm not good enough. Unfortunately, he'll probably be too thick to realised what I'm talking about, so it probably would have been more satisfying to have just reported him to the head of sixth form for breach of... something. Bit of a missed opportunity me thinks.

I was having an argument with a vegetarian friend the other day about the quality of vegetarian food at school whilst eating lunch, when one of the dinner ladies came up to us and told us that the dining hall (from now on to be known as 'Bates' if necessary, but it probably won't be) was about to close and we could continue our debate outside. As he walked off I said to her: "We were just talking about the quality of vegetarian food here. He thinks it's crap, but I keep telling him that all the food's crap!" She just glared at me as if I'd insulted her child or something. She said "Is that chocolate cake you've been eating crap?!" Obviously I wanted to say yes, but seeing as she was apparently quite offended by my derision of the food, I said "Well clearly I don't really think it's crap [I'm pretty sure she didn't pick up on the rhyming]! I just said that to strengthen my argument. I think the food here's great!" So I dug myself out of that hole nicely, but I don't understand why she was so upset. She didn't make the food, she serves it, otherwise I wouldn't have said anything in the first place - I was just trying to make amusing conversation! If I told some guy behind the till at McDonald's the food was shit, he wouldn't care, would he? Would he?! Maybe I'm just too detatched from my work :(

Bringing things back to the present, I got my hair relaxed, i.e. semi-permanently straightened (it lasts about six months), today. I really, really hate it. I don't know why I got it done - it goes against one of the few principles that I have! (Artificially enhancing your looks is not good, kiddies.) Well, I could say that my mum made me do it, but that really isn't an excuse. I can however say that I kept telling her that it went against my principles and therefore that she is a bitch for not changing her mind about it. Actually, there was a good reason for it. My hair is really difficult to manage, and I need to spend ages on it as it dries to make sure it doesn't end up sticking out all over the place. I thought straightening it would make things more convenient. As it happens, it wasn't straightened properly on one side anyway (the right) and so I still need to spend ages on it making sure it doesn't dry sticking out, so there's that plan down the drain. I looked like one of the Kings of Leon at first, although eventually I managed to get it down to McFly. (As in the shitty boy band, not 'Back to the Future'. Oh, if only...) So not only is it still inconvenient but it looks shit as well. Now I'm just hoping that my school tells me to get it cut so I can shave it all off asap. Fortunately, to balance out the ugliness, I'm now allowed to wear contact lenses again. Oh yeah, I got contact lenses fitted a few weeks ago. The optometrist put this yellow dye in my eye and warned me that everything might look a bit yellow for a few minutes. It didn't :(. Anyway, since last Wednesday I haven't been allowed to wear them, because I'm too retarded. Apparently I had, and I quote, "a small but very deep scratch" in the centre of my left eye, so I had to refrain from wearing them until today to prevent infection. An eye ulcer doesn't sound particularly pleasant. No idea how I got it though. I possibly put my left contact lens in folded up a couple of weeks ago, but I'm not certain. It's really weird, because until she said something, I didn't feel anything in my eye at all, but once she had, it was like chlorine in there 24/7. In fact even once it had supposedly healed, it still stung. But I can wear them again now, because I "took good care of it" (again, not really sure how - let's just call it a gift), and that's all that matters :). On another bright note, got my anti-bullying blue wristband from the BBC the other day. They said I'd get it after Christmas. When it got to February, people said that it was time to give up, but I kept believing, oh yes, I kept believing. And apparently my belief paid off. Which is nice.

I always feel like I should have some scathing political comment in here, but I never do, so something random about The Libertines instead. Who the hell picks their singles?! I know they're not really 'as one' at the moment, but the record company or whatever could at least try to pick the best songs from the album. It's a pretty good album, but their new single, 'Music When The Lights Go Out', is just poor. When I heard that they were playing their next single on the radio, I was so excited, but the only fluids excreted when I heard what it was were the tears of despair from my eyes. 'The Man Who Would Be King', on the other hand, is a brilliant song, so what are they playing at?! It was the strikingly obvious choice for their next single, and yet it was ignored in favour of what sounds like little more than a filler track. Maybe there was more to Pete's departure than met the eye :o (although I'm not sure that's actually possible).

Finally, some shouts. Firstly, a big shout out to Mehul (wow, this is like CBBC) for getting into Queen Mary's to study medicine! We all knew you could do it, even after you told us that you'd fucked up your interview. Also, a happy 18th birthday to Tom. I'm not sure if you read this, but whatever, people should know. Sorry I forgot about it. And everyone check out Nine Black Alps (new band - great stuff).

19 Comments:

  • Shit, sensational turn of events!

    http://www.userfriendly.org/illiad/wtf.jpg

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:35 pm  

  • DONT NOT GO TO UNI. It's much better to get a Maths&Philo degree, than doing fuck all.

    If you want to write arts or music, you can do that as a keen hobby DURING uni. Then you will have good extra cirricular when you leave uni along with your maths&phil. degree. This will be good, and if you suddenly change yourmind again and decide that music/writing is not for you, you can always get a fat-sallary job as accountant or whatever.

    If you choose not to go to uni, what will you do if your musical career doesnt workout?
    You should research to see how easy it is to go into journalism with maths&philo.


    GOOD LUCK. You are too clever not to go to uni, even if it means not going to OXbridge. Fuck oxbridge, and do maths&phio elsewhere.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:35 pm  

  • Yay. I'm gripped.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:07 pm  

  • benji > remember u have until march

    kate > will u be benji's gf please

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:43 pm  

  • I also wanna see your hair!

    i gots my blue bullying band too!

    and, you know another Jen :O But I'm Jen :O :| :(

    Just go for whatever you want, nothing's ever the end! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:27 pm  

  • Gotta say zap, didn't think you had it in you, but its a good read. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:41 am  

  • with journalism and a lot of jobs within the media a lot more is down to experience rather than actual qualifications... basically having a different degree isn't going to make working in the media any more difficult for you!

    this was the REAL jen again, who is that other jen? :O :@ :P grrrrr! :|

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:48 pm  

  • You're a very special and good person, and we need more sensitive/amusing/realistic and although you might not think so - strong - people like you in this bad world.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:23 pm  

  • people at habs are insensitive. Thats a fact. A lot of us have learnt to deal with that by now. Yes, there are a lot of wankers at habs who will belittle you to make themselves feel better, but you've really got to try to ignore them and just be the person you want to be. It sounds corny, but its true. If you are sensitive to others and show them the respect you wish they'd show you, people will quickly come to respect you. If they don't which is possible in school as people have deep-rooted feelings and prejudices about other students, then new people will.
    My recommendation, DONT GO TO OXBRIDGE. It will be a high pressure environment to a higher degree even than habs. You may think habs is hard work, high-pressure and stressful, oxbridge will be more so. Even if you think you can cope with the workload, think of the egos that will be there. I really, really don't think that somebody who is in such a fragile state as you seem to be (no offence) should go there.

    I think u shud either go to another uni, or, 2nd choice, do something else for a year. People have an opinion of one another within school that it takes a lot to change. Remember the people who were total twats in the first few years of school, people find it hard to respec them now even if their the nicest ppl. In the same way people who were maybe shyer when they were younger can get away with anything because they have a ring of friends. What I'm getting at is how ppl feel, or you think they feel, about u. If they dislike you, or u think they bully you, thats obviously bad. Unfortunately there maybe not a lot you can do a bout it. If they feel the need to victimise you to make themselves feel better they're probably not worth having as friends anyway. Console yourself with this, once they are put in with a new group of people (think going to uni) they will have difficulty making friends. You on the other hand have been through bullying + related problems and therefore know what to say to people. In other words you won't, i assume, say things which will make other people feel bad about themselves unintentionally as some of the aforementioned 'bullies'might. So, this may seem meagre consolation but i think you should feel sure that once you do finish school you will have a much better time.
    Also you are extremely lucky that you're obviously intelligent enough to be funny without being a wanker. Because of this, if you try hard to be nice to ppl, your interesting personality will shine through anyway. (that may seem obvious but a lot of potentially great people try to hard to fit in with this culture of cool) Stupider people have to take the piss to get noticed/cred etc but you don't have to

    I realise this sounds extremely preachy and may be total bullshit/irrelevant. If so just ignore this. I hope this helps is some way :)

    rst2

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:42 pm  

  • the above isnt really a comment on this post, just a general musing.

    rst2

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:43 pm  

  • hi kate?? i was wondering if you read my msg above?? do u think u n benji n click?? pls

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:16 pm  

  • i love you benji

    (no this isnt kate or a female or a homosexual)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:17 pm  

  • i was reading all the above comments...wow...some of them are highly amusing and others are thought provoking. But all throughout i was thinking who is benji..but lol i read the blog and it makes sense. hee your mates dad seems relle funny.

    anyway OMG Adam..woooo you wanna gap but urghhh you so cannot decline your offer. if i were you i would DEFER the offer..if you don't defer then you will have to do ucas again. I understand you want another course but i'm sure you chose the original course cos you holded some passion.

    Also I dunno who is saying don't go oxbridge cos there are egocentric people there....i say to that person huh? wat? People always say crap about oxbridge...but we all know uni is what you make it. You get a variety of different people at ALL unis..not just oxbridge...so lalalaaaaa.

    anyway i think people are awaiting the grand arrival of kate. lool..hmmm....so i best say byeeeee.

    tc
    jyoti

    ps....i forgot to say that the vegetarian incident totally cracked me up. lol..i'm vegetarian and its so truuu. most vegetarian food is badly made...esp in schools..*sigh* being a vegetarian is tuff. In general life is tuff aswell...but mwahaha i'm not afraid of a challenge..anyway this is random but imperial have a meat appreciation society but if i get an offer from them i want to start a rivalry society and call it sumthing along the lines of the vegetarian society..i was gonna say this in my interview but i thort i better not..you know incase i came across as being slightly mad...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:40 pm  

  • you certainly avoided that in this post jyoti :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:49 pm  

  • benji, get over it

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:17 pm  

  • oi anon i might be mad but lol the world without me wud be boring... woooo!!! jyoti

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:40 pm  

  • *cough.. 'egocentric' :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:11 pm  

  • Well done on a nice blog Adam. I was searching for information on contact lenses and came across your post The Return - not quite what I was looking for related to contact lenses but very interesting all the same!

    We're all getting ready for Christmas and it will soon be another year. I hope to be completing my studies in opthalmology in 2006 which includes a thesis on upcoming contact lens technology and improved eye health. I'm also planning to take a course on the excima laser, which should be fun.

    If you do have a moment, please take a look at my new site on: Contact Lens Reviews .

    A merry Christmas to you and yours! Amon

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:47 am  

  • Well done on a nice blog Adam. I was searching for information on special effects contact lenses and came across your post The Return - not quite what I was looking for related to special effects contact lenses but very interesting all the same!

    We're all getting ready for Christmas and it will soon be another year. I hope to be completing my studies in opthalmology in 2006 which includes a thesis on upcoming contact lens technology and improved eye health. I'm also planning to take a course on the excima laser, which should be fun.

    If you do have a moment, please take a look at my new site on: Contact Lens Reviews .

    A merry Christmas to you and yours! Amon

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home