The Zap - the site the Chinese government is currently using as its home page

Saturday, October 23, 2004

First driving lesson

Had my first driving lesson today. First thing my instructor said to me as he got in the driver's seat, just before shutting the door, was "You know how to shut the door, right?" Kind of set the tone for the session. He was fairly patronising, and I spent the first half of the lesson learning how to operate the indicator lights. Also a bit arrogant. "There are 40,000 BSM instructors in the country. At the Golders Green centre alone there are 40. Only 35 of these 40,000 have an average pass rate of above 80%. Only 35. I am one of them." Yeah... I really don't care. His impression of a Chinese woman driving suggests that he's slightly racist as well. And he made a lot of lame jokes and laughed at them. Didn't seem to like my high risk driving either, going past parked cars with only an inch or so to spare. I wasn't going to hit them! So overall, a bit of a twat, but as long as I pass my test, I'm not too bothered. It may even spur me on to learn quickly so I can spend as little time with him as possible.

2 Comments:

  • Everyone's having driving lessons!!!!!!! :(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:32 pm  

  • you are similar in many ways to a fork lift truck.
    by VtG

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home