The Zap - the site the Chinese government is currently using as its home page

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

A poem

A little while back I promised someone that I would post a poem here. In one way I lied, because I didn't actually have any intention of posting the poem I was writing at the time, but in another way I am now fulfilling that promise. A bit different to the poems I usually write, they're mostly emotion fueled and depressing, this is more descriptive. Wrote it about 4:30 this morning whilst lying in bed and got it down on paper when I woke up. Insomnia's a great inspiration. It's called 'Counting the Rain'.

I lie awake to hear the rain
Attempt to pierce the ground in vain,
Until the last drop from the first.
I even count the pitter-patters,
Not that I'm convinced it matters,
That would be beyond perverse,
But just to lose track of what does
It's always helpful to focus
On something mundane, I have found.
Not that my perspective's clear,
But I am sure that I don't care
How many raindrops hit the ground.
Eventually it frees my mind,
And my thoughts follow not one line
But along many they do tend.
In fact by when I'd written 'rain',
Although it may seem near insane,
I'd written all before the end.
By twenty-six I'm getting scared,
My mind's becoming sleep impared
And gradually I'm losing count.
Fast heart, damp brow, fear fuels the fear
That maybe, perhaps, I do care
How many raindrops hit the ground.

1 Comments:

  • Thank you for your comments, everyone :)

    By Blogger Adam, at 6:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home