The Zap - the site the Chinese government is currently using as its home page

Monday, August 23, 2004

A shit day (you'll appreciate the humour of that title towards the end)

Been watching the highlights of yesterday's V Festival on C4 and I have to say that I am shocked and appalled. It was advertised as having two headliners for each day of the festival, yesterday's being The Strokes and the Pixies, with the latter, along with Muse on Saturday, being one of the only bands that I was actually considering going down to Chelmsford to see. I decided not to go in the end, and was naturally quite pleased when I found out that C4 were showing highlights of both days of the festival. What happens? Not a second's coverage of the Pixies. What the fuck's that all about?! People want to see the best of the festival in the highlights, surely that involves showing the headliners? Not only that, but they're one of the biggest bands of all time. Absolute legends. To make it worse, when I tuned into Virgin Radio's 'live' coverage of the festival to catch the Pixies' set, they were just playing back Keane's from earlier in the day. Why, why, WHY?! Do these people think that kids today, or whoever was listening/watching, are that unappreciative of great music that they don't want to hear/see a band that hasn't been around for a while, hasn't released any new stuff or maybe even they've never heard of?! If that's really the case then it's an absolute travesty; if not, it's still a travesty that the media is so stupid so as to think that it is the case! Either way, I am very pissed off by today's events.

Other things that happened today - went out for lunch with my family. That was fun. Supposed to be to celebrate my AS-Level results. The fact that I don't really care about them and didn't want to go out was apparently irrelevant to them. I think they were more concerned by the fact that we had a free meal at this Chinese restaurant and they wanted to get the most out of it. (Waitress spilled a drink on my mum last time we went there. Served her right for being a miserable bitch. "I think they've forgotten one of our starters. Oh no, it's the end of the world!" Blah.) Anyway, we decided to go to a different branch of the restaurant that we went to initially, because they were less likely to spill drinks at a different branch or something. Got to the restaurant, no tables for half an hour so we went for a walk. Wasn't too bothered about that because they don't take bookings at lunchtime anyway. About 25 minutes gone, we started walking back, and my mum decided to stop off at every shop along the way. The concept of restaurants giving your table away if you're not there at the designated time seemed completely foreign to her. Eventually got our table, and my mum, despite being the lightest eater in my family, went straight ahead and over-ordered massively on the premise that it was a free meal (it wasn't actually a free meal as I said earlier, we had £100 credit, but used wisely that could have got us two meals!). My dad and I, the big eaters in the family, just sat there in anticipation of how much food was going to get wasted. The food did get wasted. I got a stomach ache. Went to wait in the car while the bill was paid. Waited 40 minutes. Why did it take my parents 40 minutes to pay the bill? Because it turned out that our £100 credit wasn't valid at that branch of the restaurant! So I was basically sitting in the car, in agony as my stomach started to get really bad, while my parents tried to blag a free meal worth £90! For a little insight of what that involved, I phoned my dad after about half an hour and all I could hear was a load of screaming and threats by the management to call the police. So that was nice.

Got home, spent 40 minutes on the toilet... probably shouldn't go into the details of that. Suffice to say, I felt much better afterwards :). Then watched Arsenal dominate Middlesbrough, before seeing Boro getting a 3-1 lead! Arsenal's hopes of equalling the unbeaten streak of Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest side lying in tatters, at home, potentially a disastrous, morale breaking opening to the season and their defence of the title... suddenly a smile is beaming across my face. All of the day's trials are forgotten, I'm actually happy, laughing... within minutes Arsenal have narrowed the deficit to 3-2, and eventually go on to win the match 5-3. Still, a temporarily cheering moment :). Sadly, the next thing I dedicated a serious portion of my time to watch was Jeepers Creepers, which was utter shit.

1 Comments:

  • Well done on your AS results even though don't care about them! Love A xxx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home